The Meghalaya Lokayukta is an official appointed by the Government of Meghalaya to represent the interests of the public. It is an anti-corruption authority or ombudsman. The Lokpal and Lokayukta Act, 2013 seeks to provide for the establishment of Lokayukta for States to inquire into allegations of corruption against certain public functionaries and for related matters.
Functions of Lokayukta:
- Lokayukta may investigate any action taken by the public servant if it is referred by the state government.
- It is tasked with speedy redressal of public grievances.
- The complaint will not be taken up if there is any alternate remedy.
- The procedure of investigation, etc, is the same as that of the Lokpal.
- The Lokayukta and Uplokayukta will present a consolidated report of their functions to the Governor.